Sunday, January 10, 2021

Generation 2: Chapter 17

 

🛑 This chapter is not suitable for anyone under the age of 18 🛑



____________________


. . . POV: THIRD PERSON . . .


____________________


g2c17 p1


"What do you want to do today? I say we get out and fuck someone up.. Let's find someone who's pissed us off before," Gareth tried to convince Gibson.

"You should calm down on how you talk, if Dad or Bennu caught you talking like that, you'd be in serious trouble," Gibson rebutted.

"Shut up, four eyes.. They'll never know as long as you don't blab. Let's find that Ryan kid.. He made fun of Bennu once, didn't he?"

"Well.. Yeah, he did.. But that was like, 3 months ago and we haven't seen him outside of school yet.. We gotta find someone who will make fun of us now." Gibson compromised.


g2c17 p2
g2c17 p3


"Well, like who? No one really makes fun of me.. We need to use you for bait," Gareth added.

"How about we go to the empty park on the edge of town? Marty Singer walks passed there on his way from home from school. He sucks. He's called Lucy a slut before, I heard him."

Gareth's grin grew wider, "Well.. Then that's where we'll go today. If he walks passed there, he must live near there.."

"He likes Bahiti, though.. I mean, he doesn't like us, therefore he makes fun of everything we do, but Bahiti is someone he really likes." Gibson added and Gareth nodded then.

"Do you think Bahiti would ever come with us? It'd be awesome if she made fun of him since he likes her, I bet she could even make him cry!"


g2c17 p4


Gibson shook his head 'no', "No way she would do that.. She's way too nice, and besides, she's too shy to talk to anyone but her close friends or family."

"Well, then we'll just lie and make stuff up. Like.. Bahiti hates him or something, that'll get him so pissed!" Gareth added with a smile.

Gibson smirked a little, "Yeah, that was totally peeve him.. Are we going to bring anything this time? Another bat, or a sock so we can fill it with rocks or something?"

"Nah, we're bigger than him, we can take him without bringing anything," Gareth confirmed and Gibson nodded in agreement.

"Cool.. Let's see if we can get a ride there, it's far from here," Gibson replied, the two then walking out of their room and going downstairs.


____________________


. . . POV: JASON DUBOIS . . .


____________________


g2c17 p5
g2c17 p6


I was in the middle of making breakfast when I heard two pairs of footsteps entering the kitchen, looking over to the doorway briefly and smirking when I saw the twins, "Hey boys."

"Hey Dad.. Can we get a ride to the park?" Gareth wondered.

"I'm making some breakfast right now, how about you two eat first and then I'll take you?" I suggested and Gareth sighed.

"I'm not hungry," he replied.

"I am," Gibson added after Gareth and Gareth looked over his shoulder at him, giving a slight grimace, "What? I wanna eat before we go.."


g2c17 p7
g2c17 p8
g2c17 p9


"Well, it'll be ready in a minute or two.. What's at the park? Wouldn't you rather go downtown or something?" I wondered.

"No, we just wanna go to the park.." Gareth replied, not wanting to go into too much detail for me and I chuckled lightly.

"There going to be any girls there?" I wondered, looking over to the boys and Gibson blushed softly as Gareth scoffed.

"No, Dad.. We're not going there for any girls," Gareth replied.

I chuckled again, "I first started chasing girls around when I was about your guys' age. Anyone peak your interest yet?"

"Is the food almost ready so we can go?" Gareth wondered, ignoring my question.

"Yeah, yeah.. It's ready," I replied, giving up on trying to get a little more information out of them.


g2c17 p11
g2c17 p14


They sat at the table with me and I served them both French Toast and joined them to eat. "You don't need to work today?" Gibson wondered and I shook my head.

"Nah, it's Sunday.. You know I like to be home for the weekends, otherwise I'd never see you guys," I replied. They seemed a little different this morning, withdrawn and secretive.

"Can we stay this week? I don't wanna go back to Mom's place, Sherri is so annoying.. I can't stand her," Gareth wondered, describing their sister that Faline had had with her husband a few years after we separated.

"Well, you have to ask her, not me.. If I said yes and she says no and you guys stay, she'll get pretty mad," I attempted to reason, though I liked them wanting to stay here instead of being with Faline.

"She's not that bad.. She just likes to follow us around, that's all," Gibson added and Gareth sighed.

"Still, she's super annoying and I hate her voice.. I'll text Mom when you're driving us to the park, Dad. Hopefully she says yes," Gareth replied, a slight whine as an undertone.


g2c17 p13
g2c17 p12
g2c17 p15


"So, how's school going?" I asked, eating more of the french toast as I looked to both boys.

"Good," they both answered simultaneously and I chuckled.

"Don't you both have a test on Tuesday?" I asked.

Gibson took another mouthful of the meal and nodded, "Yeah, but it'll be easy."

"Yeah, for you maybe.." Gareth added.

"Maybe you should stay home and study more if you don't think you'll pass it," I suggested but Gareth disagreed.

"Well, I'll probably pass it, Gibson is just going to do better on it than me.. I have tomorrow to study, too, Dad," Gareth rebutted.

"So you're all studied up then, huh?" I questioned Gibson and he nodded.

"Yeah, I'll ace it. You will too, Gareth. I'll help you tomorrow in class," Gibson reassured his brother and I smiled, liking whenever they did anything together and I knew Gibson's heart was in the right place; Gareth, however, I was a little worried for. "Where's everyone else?" Gibson added.

"Lucy's still sleeping I believe.. Bennu and Bahiti are out grocery shopping," I replied, seeing the boys then finishing up their meals, "Ready to go then?" I asked and they both nodded, standing to my feet and taking our plates to the sink to wash before driving them to the park.


g2c17 p17


I drove the boy's to the park, looking in my rear view mirror and seeing Gareth texting Faline on his phone to see if they could stay this week and Gibson looked out the window, watching the city pass him by. "You sure you don't wanna walk around the city a little, Gibs?" I questioned, keeping my eyes on the road but glancing back and forth between it and the rear view mirror. 

Gibson looked to the mirror and smirked, "No, it's okay. Maybe we could walk around here this weekend? Or later this week if Mom says yes to letting us stay at the house?" He replied and I nodded.

"Yeah, sure bud," I confirmed, looking to Gareth then when he suddenly let out a large aggravated sigh and rolled his eyes. "She said no?" I guessed.


g2c17 p18


"Of course she did.." He replied angrily, "She never let's us stay.. Why?"

"Well, maybe it's because she wants you to spend more time with your sister," I replied, shrugging and giving him a remorseful look into the mirror, knowing Faline's reasoning probably had something to do with me.

Gareth sighed and shoved his phone back into his pocket, "Whatever.. She can't make us be friends. I never wanna be friends with her.. Are we almost there yet?" He asked with an impatient tone.

"Yeah, it's just around the corner," I answered, sighing softly to myself and feeling sorry for the boys, knowing they didn't want to go to Faline's.


g2c17 p19
g2c17 p20


We got to the park and the boys got out, hearing the car doors shut and I rolled down my window to get their attention, "Hey, boys," I announced, seeing the both of them face me and I looked them in the eye. 

"Yeah, Dad?" Gibson wondered. Remembering my father's words at the festival earlier in the summer made me weary to leave them on their own; what if he was telling the truth? What is they did kill that boy? I didn't want to lose my trust in them, nor did I want to label them as monsters, but seeing as how me, my father and every Dubois man before him has been known to hurt people, I suppose it was something that was going to happen whether I'd want to believe it or not.

"Stay out of trouble.. Alright?" I added, seeing them both nod in understanding and I let out a soft, worried sigh. I smirked slightly, but it was wiped from my lips instantly as I rolled the window back up and drove down the street, leaving the boys to whatever kind of things they may consider 'fun'.


____________________


. . . POV: GARETH DUBOIS . . .


____________________


g2c17 p21
g2c17 p22


After Dad drove off, I looked to Gibson and smiled, "Let's go to the lookout and wait for the fucker to come to the park," I suggested, watching him nod and we ran into the park towards the playground. I don't know what's up Dad's ass lately, he seems to look at Gibs and I differently ever since we went to the festival before fall started and the new school year began. He wanted to hang around us more out of nowhere whenever we wanted to go out or go somewhere after school, claiming he just wanted to spend more time with us, but it's more than just that. 


g2c17 p23
g2c17 p24


Gibs and I climbed to the top of the playground to look and see if we could spot where Marty Singer lived, but neither of us were sure. "So, which way do you think he'll be coming from?" Gibs asked and I looked around more.

"I don't know.. I think the bus that drops him off goes right, down that street, after passing the park," I replied, "He must live west then, because there's no houses down the east way."

"Yeah, I think you're right.. So, if he comes to the park, what do you wanna do to him?" Gibs asked with a hint of excitement, smirking to myself.

"Whatever he can take," I replied with a smile, looking at him and Gibs grew the same smile as me.


g2c17 p25
g2c17 p26


We kept our eyes to the road for about half an hour, but soon our waiting had prevailed when I spotted Marty not to far away making his way towards the park, "Hey! I see him. Let's go," I said eagerly, hearing Gibson chuckle.

"This is going to be fun," he added, watching me slide down the pole to get to the ground and I laughed.

"Fuck yeah it will be," I replied in agreement, reaching the ground and Gibson slid down the pole after me.


g2c17 p27
g2c17 p28


We walked away from the playground a little and stopped, seeing Marty notice us and I could tell from far away that he was already nervous about us being there, his voice said it all. "W-what are you guys doing on this side of town? Don't you live up in the douche-rich-people hills?" He insulted, trying to play off that he wasn't scared of us.

"You're jealousy of our fortune is a little hilarious," Gibson said in a pitying manner and I chuckled, seeing Marty's face then begin to show a little anger; Gibs always knew what to say back to any insult, conflict, anything really.. He was clever like that.

"Yeah, why don't you shut your fuckin' mouth before I do it for you," I warned, "That is, unless you don't want to. Feel free to keep making fun of us when there's only one of you," I threatened.

"I'm not jealous," he replied, trying to defend against the envy written all over his face.

"I find that hard to believe, coming from someone who's shit poor," I replied and he got even angrier, something I was striving for from the beginning.


g2c17 p29
g2c17 p30


"What the hell is your guys' problem?! Why can't you just leave me alone?" Marty asked.

"You came into the park barking harsh words before us, stupid.. Did you leave your intelligence at home before you left to come here?" Gibson asked and I chuckled, grinning menacingly towards Marty.

"You know what, Gibson? You talk all high and mighty when you really just belong in the Special Needs classes.." Marty rebutted and Gibson laughed.

"I think you're mistaking your classes for my Advanced Placement ones.." Gibson added and I laughed again.

"You guys are such assholes!" Marty added.


g2c17 p31


"One more insult and I say we let him have it, how about you?" Gibson suggested and I looked towards him over my shoulder, thinking a moment.

"Yeah.. That or we just beat the shit out of him anyway before he can say anything else," I replied and I hear Gibson chuckle behind me. I was fed up with this kid, Gibson and I always had verbal fights with him in school, going back and forth making fun of each other, but that all stopped today; we finally caught him outside of school and I was ready to beat his face in. I loved putting people in their place, especially the ones who think they're better than us. Gibson and I are an unstoppable pair that people may mess with from time to time, but we always get our revenge no matter what; it's getting harder and harder the older we get to find people that make fun of us so we can teach them a lesson, everyone's beginning to get the point on how we don't let anyone get away with what they may say about us.


g2c17 p32
g2c17 p33


"Just leave me alone, alright? I just wanna leave, okay?" Marty attempted to flee but I wasn't having it.

"You're not getting off that easy, fucker! For too long we've gone without teaching you a fucking lesson, and lucky for you, today's your day," I said with anger, yet a wide grin soon spread across my lips in the anticipation of connecting my fist just under Marty's cheekbone. 

Marty grew nervous and finally was showing some sense of fear, "No, just leave me alone! I won't make fun of you guys ever again, I swear!" He pleaded.

"We can never be too sure if you're telling the truth or not, Marty.. We need to make sure you're done for good and there's only one way to do that," Gibson replied to him and I laughed.


g2c17 p34
g2c17 p35


The sky grew a little darker from the clouds shielding the sun, rain beginning to fall and soon the sky then formed tiny pearl-sized hail in the now 45 degree weather. I circled around Marty, my eyes running down and back up his now shivering frame, keeping my grin as he shook in what I believed to be fear rather than the sudden shift to a brisk noon. "Gettin' cold or somethin', Marty?" I taunted, stopping when his back was towards me and I looked to Gibson just passed Marty, seeing his face serious and he was just as ready as I was. 


g2c17 p36


"Come on, Marty.. Are you even going to have the dignity to fight back?" Gibson asked, shoving Marty hard and he flew back and into my chest and I caught his arms with my hands, locking him in place.

"Oh, well.. Guess you kinda can't now, huh, fuck face?" I taunted more, Gibson then taking the first swing and his fist connected against the side of his face, turning Marty's head with force and the back of his skull tapped against my chest. I laughed as Marty tried to tell us to stop, but I shoved him down to the ground with exertion and he landed face down from being unable to catch himself in time to lesson the contact. He cowered then and put his hands to the back of his head to protect it, but we were already threw with the shoulders and up, Gibson and I then kicking at Marty's torso and legs as he tried to go into fetal position to protect himself.


g2c17 p38
g2c17 p39


After a good 20 minutes of kicking, taunting and tormenting, Gibson and I finally decided to call it quits when we were sure his face was filled with more tears than raindrops. "Come on, I'm bored.. Let's get outta here and go to the coffee shop down the street," I suggested and Gibson looked to me.

"Yeah, you can only do so much before it just starts to get pathetic," Gibson replied and I chuckled, looking down at Marty as he cried to himself.

"I hope you learned your lesson, shithead. But, I'm begging you to give me a reason to brake some bones next time," I threatened, motioning with my head to Gibson to 'come on' and he nodded, both of us then running off to get to the coffee shop.


g2c17 p40
g2c17 p41
g2c17 p42
g2c17 p43


Gibson and I got to the coffee shop as the hail stopped, yet the rain still continued and I enjoyed the sound of the rain smacking down onto the roof above me when I stepped up the stairs to the deck. Gibson and I sat at the coffee shop for hours, discussing our actions from earlier and trying to figure out new ways of improving so no one could touch us, not even the Seniors when we enter high school next year. We got a few different things to eat but stopped a couple hours before Mom would pick us up so she wouldn't get mad if we didn't have an appetite, though I had a little more than Gibson since I wasn't as much of a fan of Mom's cooking; it was Dad's meals that I really liked.


g2c17 p44


The sun was going down and it was almost 7:00 at night, Gibs and I somehow ending up on the subject of Dad and Mom. "So you really think Bennu was the reason why they split up? How do you figure?" I questioned Gibson.

"Well, think about it.. Don't you remember Mom and Dad fighting a lot when we were younger? Things just didn't work out. I mean, granted I have no idea how long they might've been seeing each other, but right after Mom moved out, Bennu seemed to just ease right in. I feel like Dad just didn't want Mom and as much as it sucks to say, we were probably never supposed to happen. Mom and Dad never were married and still had no desire to get married," he replied and I nodded, seeing his point a little more, "Plus, whenever we ask her about it, she changes the subject or gets angry."

"Yeah, maybe.. But, still, Bennu seemed to try a little harder than Mom did, it's as if she doesn't know what to do and just tries to avoid everything so she doesn't have to deal with it. It pisses me off.. I've lost count on how many times she's defended Sherri and the times she's been on our side I can count using one damn hand," I replied with a hint of anger.

"Can't argue with you there.." He agreed with a sour tone.


g2c17 p45


"I kinda hate her sometimes.." I added after a few moments of silence. Gibson didn't respond, looking at me with a serious expression, "What?" I asked.

"Nothing.." He replied, looking around the coffee shop then and I raised a brow.

"What? You can't say that you don't hate her, too.. She walks around like she has such a great life but whenever we're there, she always seems on edge, like she can't be herself around us."

"Well, maybe she does it because of Dad? She doesn't only get angry whenever we bring him up, she gets nervous, like she's scared. She probably just doesn't want to do anything or say anything to avoid us telling Dad anything that will make him mad.." Gibson added.

"Maybe.. But.. I don't know.. That's between her and Dad, she doesn't have to take it out on us, you know? She acts like we're spies in her house whenever we're there and tip toes around things. Benny doesn't like us at all, either," I replied, Gibson then sarcastically chuckling.

"Well of course, you make fun of Sherri constantly and that's his daughter, we're not his sons.. Of course he hates us," he added, rolling his eyes and looking out the window to my right.


____________________


. . . POV: GIBSON DUBOIS . . .


____________________


g2c17 p46
g2c17 p47


As questionable as Mom's actions are, I wasn't going to dissatisfy Gareth in making him feel uncomfortable and letting him know that I feel like Mom likes me more. She may not like when I laugh at the jokes he tells, but at least I'm not the one telling them. My pocket began to buzz and I pulled out my phone, seeing that Mom was calling me and Gareth grew curious, "It is her?" He wondered.

"Yeah."

"Ask her again if we can stay at Dad's," he added but I shook my head, "Come on! I don't wanna go," he pried a little.

"Whatever," I replied, standing and walking away from the table as I answered the phone, "Hello?"

"Hey, you guys ready to come over? Are you getting dropped off or am I picking you up?" Mom asked.

"Well, Gareth wanted me to ask again if we can stay at Dad's..?" I asked.

"No, why? Do you both want to stay?"

"I don't care, really.."

"Then no.. Where are you?" She asked and I sighed, looking over my shoulder to Gareth and shaking my head 'no', his expression then growing angered and he got up and came over to me.

"Lemme talk to her," he demanded.

"Shut up," I replied.

"Gibson, where are you guys? I'm coming to get you now."

"We're at the coffee shop down on Maple Drive," I replied and I saw Gareth then let out an irritated sigh, rolling his eyes in addition.

"I'll be there soon," she replied and we said our goodbye's.


g2c17 p48
g2c17 p49


"Why can't you ever just let me talk to her?" Gareth wondered.

"If you want to talk to her then you call her," I rebutted and he sighed again.

"How long until she's here?" He asked.

"She's coming now, so we have about fifteen minutes.."

"Fine, let's go outside or something.." He suggested and I agreed, following him out of the coffee shop and waiting at the curb for Mom.


g2c17 p50
g2c17 p51
g2c17 p52


When Mom arrived, Gareth let out an aggravated sigh when he noticed Sherri had come along with Mom for the ride. I went around to the front so he had to sit next to her; although I didn't like doing the teasing, I enjoyed putting Gareth in uncomfortable positions so I could entice some bickering. It was fun to watch sometimes..

"So, how was your guys' day? Wha'd you do?" Mom asked, Gareth keeping his mouth shut, so I answered for us.

"It was fun, we went to the park and hung out, then it started to rain so we went to the coffee shop," I replied, trying to make the awkward silence less awkward.

"I hope you didn't indulge too much and still have room for dinner," she replied with a somewhat stern tone and I turned my attention away and out the window.

"We didn't.." Gareth replied with a short tone and I sighed, already knowing he wasn't going to make tonight easy for anyone.


g2c17 p53
g2c17 p54


We got to Mom and Benny's place and Mom began dinner as I tried to watch television over the sound of Gareth and Sherri already beginning to argue.

"Why the hell do you always wanna do what we're doing? You're like a callus that we can't cut off!" Gareth said angrily.

"Gareth, knock it off.." Mom tried to stop them, but it was no use.

"Shut up! Why can't you just let me play with you guys!? It's not fair!" Sherri yelled back.

"It's because no one likes you! I don't even know anyone who can stand looking at you!"

"You're such a jerk!"

I tried to step in, trying to calm down Gareth so Mom wouldn't go nuts, "Gareth, A Thousand Ways to Die is on right now, let's watch it," I suggested, but he ignored me.


g2c17 p55
g2c17 p56
g2c17 p57


"Just look at you! You look like Santa Clause.. All your missing is the big bushy beard! But oh, don't worry.. It'll start growing in sooner than you think!"

"I'm not a boy, Gareth! And I'm not Santa, either! Ugh!" Sherri's voice began to grow and Mom spoke up one more time.

"Gareth, if you don't stop, you're going to be in big trouble.." She warned and I grew nervous for him, but I knew that Mom didn't scare Gareth at all, either..

"Fatty, fatty, two by four, can't fit through the kitchen door!" Gareth teased and I couldn't help but laugh, though the moment I did I saw Mom look up from whatever she was making for dinner with a horrified expression and I stopped laughing instantly.


g2c17 p58
g2c17 p59
g2c17 p60


"Gareth Ian Dubois!" Mom raised her voice and I grew more nervous for Gareth, watching as she walked out of the kitchen and over to Gareth, "I told you two times now to knock it off and you didn't, now go upstairs to your room!"

"What, to that room that's five times smaller than the one at Dad's? The one I have to share with that thing over there? I don't want to," Gareth replied and I watched their argument from the sofa, waiting to see how this was going to go.

"I don't care how small it is, go to it now and stay there until I tell you to come out!" Mom answered.

"Whatever happened to three strikes and you're out?" He questioned.

"That disgusting little nursery rhyme of yours was the third strike, now go! I'm not going to repeat myself again!" She demanded.


g2c17 p61
g2c17 p62


Gareth still held his ground, looking up at Mom and I could see a slight grin forming on his lips; he had something cooking in his mind that I knew was going to destroy Mom, I always knew the look..

"Have you ever thought about how Bahiti is only a few months younger than us?" Gareth questioned and my jaw dropped a little, looking to Mom then and seeing her entire body stiffen as he brought Dad into the equation to get under her skin. Gareth always brought up Dad in front of Mom whenever he grew too angry to the point where he just wanted to watch her suffer slowly under the weight of her own grievances, even if in all reality, he had no idea what they had been through together. But, he didn't care, he never did, he strives on seeing others unhappy when he feels wronged by them and it was impossible to avoid. 

"You watch your mouth when you're speaking to me.. Now, go upstairs.. No dinner, no nothing. I don't want to see you until morning for school," Mom replied with a quivering tone and I noticed her eyes begin to water.

"You should've just let us stay home," Gareth replied and turned around, looking to me and smirking with an accomplished expression as he made his way upstairs to our room.


g2c17 p62-2
g2c17 p63
g2c17 p64


After Gareth had gone upstairs, Mom went into the kitchen and continued making dinner, seeing her wipe under her eyes before any tears could fall, but I already knew she upset and trying not to cry. Sherri joined her in the kitchen to help and I went upstairs to talk to Gareth, entering our shared room and seeing him sitting on his bed. "What was all that about?" I asked.

"What? She was pissing me off, what other way is there to get her to cave without bringing Dad up?" He wondered in return.

"Well, yeah.. But she's crying now."

"Good."

I stood there for a moment, seeing him still calm and content about everything that had just happened, "Are you going to be okay without dinner? I can try and bring you something from the fridge before I go to bed?" I wondered.

"I'll be fine.. I ate more than you at the coffee shop for a reason.." He replied with a chuckle and I smirked.


g2c17 p65
g2c17 p66


"So, what are you going to do all night?" I asked.

"Who knows, who cares.. Mom obviously doesn't. Just go eat dinner, I'm gunna nap or something.." He replied and laid down, shutting his eyes and I sighed softly. As much as I wanted to believe that Gareth had his limits, I wondered what it would take to push him a little too far. I knew he would never hurt me, but if I ever got on his bad side, I wondered how far he would go to get back at me. I often didn't question him, I understood him more than anyone, even Dad, but I was curious to know if he would ever treat me in such ways that he treats everyone else.


g2c17 p69


Dinner was... Quiet. Mom and Sherri talked a little and I talked a little, too, but for the most part, it was quiet. Benny was working late like he usually did and there wasn't really all that much to talk about anyways, I knew Mom didn't want to talk much since she was still probably feeling terrible about what Gareth had said to her. As we grew older, we understood their situation more and more even despite them never wanting to discuss it with us, but I never really understood why they didn't want to. From what we've put together, Mom and Dad met in college, maybe they dated maybe they didn't.. They had us and stayed together, but eventually it began to get to be too much because maybe they were never meant to truly be together. One thing I can't figure out though, is if Dad was dating Bennu at the same time as Mom, seeing as how us and Bahiti are so close in age, or did Dad not know about Bahiti until later? Is that what caused all the fighting to start, or was it going bad before he even knew about her? The more we tried to figure it out, the less they would want anything to do with the conversation. How badly did it really end?


g2c17 p71
g2c17 p72
g2c17 p73


After dinner, Benny got home from work and talked with Mom in the kitchen about Gareth while Sherri and I watched television. Benny wasn't happy at all about hearing what had happened between Gareth and Sherri, overhearing some of their discussion in the kitchen, but Mom left me out of it so Benny wouldn't blame me as well; Gareth and I were known to come hand in hand with everything, but I stayed clear of making fun of Sherri. I didn't mind her as much as Gareth did, though I still have to agree she was rather annoying to be around, I just never really get cruel about it like Gareth does.

Sherri went to bed earlier than me and I stayed up with Mom and Benny a little longer before she told me to go to bed around 10:00. I came to our room upstairs and Sherri was already sleeping, then I looked up towards Gareth's bunk and whispered, "Gareth, are you still awake?" I listened for a moment and he moved a little in his bed, but didn't reply. Knowing he was asleep, I got changed out of my clothes and into something to wear to sleep in, crawling into the bottom bunk and pulling the covers over my shoulders, shutting my eyes and slowly falling asleep.


g2c17 p75


A rustling noise above me stirred my slumber and I was half awake, yet kept my eyes shut as I drifted back off to sleep.


g2c17 p76


The muffled sound of voices coming from the other side of the door caused my eyes to open slowly and it took me a moment to wake up. I saw the bottom of Gareth's bunk above me and it wasn't caved in as if he was in it, "Gareth..?" I whispered, but I heard nothing. Suddenly, a muffled yet loud scream ran into my ears and I popped up from my bed instantly, seeing Sherri wake up and she ran to the door before I could. I hopped out of bed and looked up to Gareth's, not seeing him in it and I ran after Sherri to see what was going on.


g2c17 p77
g2c17 p78


Sherri ran out and I followed, seeing Gareth at the top of the stairs with a panicking expression, "I-I didn't mean to! I didn't!" Gareth hurried to say when I looked to him, then looking down the stairs as to what he was referring to. My eyes widened in horror as I looked downstairs to Mom lying on the ground and Benny was already down the stairs, sitting on the ground next to her and in a panic as well.

"Faline! Oh, God.. Faline!" Benny called out and my eyes teared up, already knowing she wasn't okay.

Sherri then started to cry, "Mommy!" She called out.

I looked to Gareth who was at a loss for words, "What.. What happened?" I asked, looking back down the stairs and back to Gareth again.

"I.. I didn't mean to," he replied again.


g2c17 p79
g2c17 p80


This didn't make any sense.. I just saw her and she was fine, I wasn't sure how to react to losing my mother in a matter of hours. What scared me more was that I wasn't sure whether to believe Gareth or not from the lack of tears in his eyes. Benny was sobbing at the bottom of the stairs and Sherri was crying behind me, my eyes were filling with tears and I felt one fall down my cheek, but Gareth's eyes didn't show a single drop of sympathy. Maybe he dealt with loss in a different way, maybe I was over thinking it, or maybe there was something he was holding back. Either way, I'd find out eventually.. Now, I simply took the time to mourn my mother. Benny had gotten his cell phone and called 911, explaining how he needed an ambulance as I only cried more, knowing it was already too late.



____________________

Original chapter written and posted on October 13, 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment

We're all a little bit crazy.. What do you think?